Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chinese Snuff Bottle Research Tools and Resources


As a beginner/novice collector, great reference, research and online resources have become extremely valuable.

When I started collecting again recently, one of the things I did was to create an online forum where other novice, and also expert collectors could meet. Giving the opportunity for sharing, learning, and generaly sharing our bottle collecting trials, tribulations, and success stories.

I find myself truly hanging on the shirt tails of the expert collectors. Without their generous input, a great deal of information about the few bottles I have collected would never have surfaced. Just as important are other novice collectors who share their experiences, and ask questions. I learn a great deal by reading replies to them from the more experienced collectors. The forum has truly been the single most valuable online resource for me. Should any of you members stumble upon this blog post, I can not say thank you enough for you freely sharing your expertise. Deciphering signatures and scripts among a long list of other teachings that are invaluable .. You know who you are. Saying thank you seems hardly enough when trying to express just how grateful I am to have come to know each of you.

Another extremely valuable online resource is Bill Patricks Snuff Bottle Collector website. "A labor of love as an expression of gratitude to and admiration for a group of artists and craftsmen whose concentrated, patient works deserve a world audience."  Bill's site is loaded with many years worth of his personal experiences, and research that includes information, and images for Early, Middle, and Modern Period artists.

Although not online yet, Peter Bentley's private data base is yet another extremely valuable research rescource. Peter, like all the members on the forum shares freely his expertise. His passion for Modern and Very Modern artists is shared freely for the asking to forum members via a compilation of information on a data base he has created. With special passion for upcoming student artists.

Several online resources have been shared on forum as well.. To many to list, so will share this link to the "Research and Technical" category within the forum.  Some topics include, Archiac script converter, scripts, reign marks, and seals, late 19th and early 20th century import/export info, historic legends and tales, Chinese calendar referencing, and much more.

I also find the Gotheborg site a valuable online resource for comparing reign marks.. More so for porcelain, which someday will be yet another snuff bottle materials medium I hope to venture into. There is a small fee required to fully access all areas of his forum, but a great deal of reign marks information is shared freely with guests.

Books, magazines, and journals ! There is a lot of good reading material available. Although, the very best are the most expensive !

I have been especially blessed with the extreme generousity of Joseph Silver. Joey has sent me books, journals, and his exhibition collections. None of which can be easily obtained. His Chinese Snuff Bottles ( Winter 1987)  collection, several International Chinese Snuff Bottle Society journals of which among all the great infromation is a very special Apricot Grove series detailing the works of the Ye family. Also one of his stunning and simply fantastic published books, "Worlds in a Bottle", The Joseph Baruch Silver Collections.  This particular book has become my most valued referencing resource within my small but growing library.  Being on a very small bottle collecting budget, it is tough choosing sometimes between purchasing good reference material over adding another bottle to the collection !

Another generous gift from Joey was yet another of his books. This one published by Robert Kleiner and titled, "In Search of a Dragon". Underglaze blue and white porcelain snuff bottles from his ( Joey's )  personal collection. Although porcelain bottles are still a bit off in the future for me, I can not imagine a better reference book !

I also have a few Chinese Snuff Bottles journals by Hugh Moss. A special one which was given to me by yet another forum member, Charll, is the number four copy.  With a super nice section about "How to buy Chou Lo yuan bottles" Loaded with details for Chou Lo yuan !

The Arts of China magazines are readily available online. A few that I have with specific and lengthy snuff bottle related articles include, Jan/Feb 1982, Chinese Painting as Seen Through Snuff Bottles. Nov/Dec 1988, with a great article on Bavarian and Chinese snuff bottles. Also Nov/Dec 1976, Snuff Bottle Collectors Issue, "Inside Painted Bottles of the Shantung School." These early Shantung artists, and bottles are slowly becoming sort of a special little niche within my collection.

The first book I ever purchased, although published in 1976 was, and still is an excellent reference book. "The Collectors Book of Snuff Bottles" by Bob Stevens.. I can highly recommend it as a must have book for collectors like myself just starting out.  I am constantly referencing it !

Another book I have, although I prefer Bob's book, is Lilla Perry's "Chinese Snuff Bottles", The Adventures and Studies of a Collector.

Those are the highlights of my small library.

A couple must have books that are on my immediate wish list include,  "A Biography and Study by Ma Zhengsan", and "Inkplay in Microcosm."

There are a great deal of super reference books, DVD's and CD's available.

One DVD that I do have, is Bill Patrick's, "The Making of a Masterpiece", The Story of Inside Painted Snuff Bottles. It reveals the minute details of the art of inside painted snuff bottles, originating in the old spirit of China.

For information on a number of recomended books, DVD's, and CD's, check out these suggested by other collectors on forum.

Sometimes, choosing to purchase a book over a new bottle for our collection can be tough if your on a small collecting budget like myself.  Although, I have learned just how valuable good reference books, magazines, and journals are !  Investing in a reference library is just as valuable as investing in our bottles.

I find it fun, educational, and even relaxing while researching artists, the different painted scenes, and comparing those scenes to known popular Chinese scrolls and paintings via a good book....

Valuable information that is nice to have when documenting our collections.

No comments: